The Painterly World of Carol Smith–aka Dogsitter

Carol SmithYou may know Carol’s work by her Instagram name @dogsitter80 (yes she owns a dog walking and pet sitting business!).  When I first visited her gallery I thought I was looking at photos of her original paintings.  When finding out these were painterly edits of photographs, I became an instant follower and huge fan of Carol’s work.  After interacting with Carol, I also learned that she’s quite hilarious.  This is a gal I could be best friends with!  I’m thrilled to be interviewing her to find out more about her life and work.

©Carol Smith

©Carol Smith
The Lake in Winter (above)
©Carol Smith
Colorful City (above)

Geri:  Where do you live? 
Carol:  I live in Coastal New Jersey now, lived in Denver for 22 years.

Geri:  How long have you been creating mobile art?
Carol:  I started "messing around" with pics on my iPod Touch 2 years or so ago.  My first efforts consisted of putting hats and funny noses on the faces of friends.  Soon no one would give me any pics   I was sad.   I then practiced on photos on the Internet.   I never posted anything during this time.

©Carol Smith
Flapper (above)
©Carol Smith
The Lady Cardinal (above)

Geri:  Do you have an art or traditional photography background?
Carol:  None at all.  I never took a pic in my life before getting an iPhone about a year ago. (Geri’s note:  Carol is proof that it’s never too late to become a fabulous artist!)

Geri:  How did your painterly style evolve? 
Carol:  It started to evolve after I got an iPad.  The larger screen helped me to do more complicated edits.  I started to look at sites like iphoneart and Flickr.  I realized what was possible.  I tried every app listed by every artist whose work I admire; and there were many.  I practiced and practiced...

©Carol Smith
The Ride (above)
©Carol Smith
Babes in Starbucks (above)
©Carol Smith
The Look (above)

Geri:  What are your favorite apps? 
Carol:  SHOCKMYPICPHOTO COPIER. PHOTO TEXTUREPHOTO FX by TIFFEN, SNAPSEED and   IMAGE BLENDER.  I use these on most images.  I seem to be using fewer filter apps lately.  I am starting to make my own textures too.  I have much more control that way.  I have hundreds of apps.  Some I use just once in a while, many have only one or two worthwhile effects. 

Geri:  Please tell me about your process.
Carol:  I take the photos on the 4s and edit them on iPads 2 and 3.

©Carol Smith
Pink Evening (above)
©Carol Smith
Decimation City (above)
©Carol Smith
Lost in Thought (above)

Geri:  Who or what inspires you?
Carol:  Nature always inspires me. I find the street of NYC wildly inspiring!  I must mention here my collaborator, Oliver Reckert @oliverlovesit.  He provides many great shots of Germany for me to edit.  He is a far superior photographer; but doesn't do extreme edits.  I am also inspired and constantly learn from other artists, particularly those on IPHONEART

©Carol Smith
An Infinity of Kitties (above)
©Carol Smith
What Cats See (above)
©Carol Smith
Where do you think you are…Grand Central Station? (above)

Geri:  Have you ever exhibited your work.  If not, any plans for the future?
Carol:  No I haven't.  If the opportunity arises I will have to think hard about it.  This is a hobby for me. I don't know if I would want that to change.

Geri:  What would your dream app do?
Carol:  Hmmm. You know, I am pretty satisfied with the apps I have.  If there was one perfect app the fun of searching for new and exciting apps would be over.

©Carol Smith
Street Scene (above)
©Carol Smith
Waiting for the Train (above)
©Carol Smith
Brooklyn Bridge (above)

Geri:  Anything you’d like to add?
Carol:   Community is such a big part of this experience for me.  I have been met with such generosity and kindness here!  Having friendships with the best Mobile Artists in the world is mind blowing.  It makes doing this rewarding.  When I see the caliber of art produced by others it motivates me to practice my craft, to become better, to produce art worthy of this community.

©Carol Smith
Another Little House (Above)
©Carol Smith

©Carol Smith
Thank you Carol for your endless inspiration – You make me want to work at my craft even more!  You can follow Carol on Instagram @dogsitter80 and view more of her work at iPhone Art Dogsitter

 
Featured Mobile Artists

0 comments:

Post a Comment