Michael Clawson to Speak at MacWorld/iWorld

MacWorld/iWorld is almost upon us. I thought this was going to be my year to attend, but it looks like I may have to wait until 2015. If I did attend I'd be sure to catch the presentation by Michael Clawson. 

Michael Clawson is ‘Chief Fish’ at Big Fish Creations, an advertising and digital media company in the Sierra town of Graeagle. His background began in Silicon Valley when Apple Computer and Adobe Systems first made their mark in Desktop Publishing. He was introduced to interactive media early in his career, transitioned to production artist, and later, creator and lead principal of an Interactive Department at a major advertising agency. Specializing in branding across multiple media platforms, his diverse repertoire includes a hybrid combination of designer and developer with emphasis on graphic design, branding, photography and communication. Michael is also a published author and often writes about iPhoneography and creative editing.

Geri:  Tell me a bit about your start with iPhone photography.

Michael:  My start with iPhoneography was somewhat accidental, yet meaningful. Around the first of October, 2010, I was on my way to a client meeting. As always, when I discovered something interesting, I would snap a shot with my iPhone. In this case, my interest was caught by the dramatic clouds floating above my client’s hi-tech building. I quickly snapped a picture with my iPhone and headed in to the meeting. Once inside, my clients and I were going through some ideas about a brochure and folder design, looking for an image that really stood out. Nothing really clicked. Then, I recalled the image I had just snapped before entering the building. I pulled out my iPhone, cued up the photo and asked: “Would this work?” Everyone in the room went wild with excitement, and it became unanimous that “that” was the shot. From then on, I knew the iPhone was my new creative tool and have never looked back since.

My First Instagram with “that” shot:

© Michael Clawson
© Michael Clawson

Today, I shoot with both my Nikon SLR and iPhone and post processing shots in Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom and in numerous iPhone apps. Many times I find myself being more creative with my iPhone since it allows me to really explore my ideas with simple ease. 

Geri:  What is MacWorld/iWorld?

Michael:  If you are an Apple faithful, you might say MacWorld/iWorld is like the home planet of your kind. Almost everything Apple or Apple related is featured at the show. In fact, it’s a great place to see the latest gadgets, goodies, and apps in the Apple Industry. The show also offers cool presentations, training and tech talks where you can learn just about anything related to Apple products, third party products and compatible apps. You can find out more about the show at the MacWorld/iWorld site.   

The Thinker © Michael Clawson
The Thinker © Michael Clawson
Apps Used: Faded, Facetune, ColorTime, Image Blender, PS Express, Big Photo
Channeling Instagram's @blacksmithpat © Michael Clawson
Channeling Instagram's @blacksmithpat © Michael Clawson
Apps - Hipstamatic TinType SnapPak

 Geri:  What will you be presenting and when?

Michael:  On Thursday, March 27th, from 3 to 3:45 pm, I’ll be presenting Creative iPhone Portraitures. This is the third in my series of MacWorld/iWorld Talks on iPhoneography. In this session, my focus is really aimed at the beginner to intermediate user interested in learning tips, tricks, and secrets for creating better portraits with their iPhones.

As I see it, there are essentially three main stages in the portrait process. First, you need to relax your subject so they behave more naturally. I most often find humor works the best to break the ice so to speak. Second, you need to pay attention to the subject and strive to capture that so called “perfect” shot. This typically involves taking a lot of photos until that magic happens, but, it should also involve more than just blind chance. Observation and attention to detail is key. Third, post-processing and editing play a major roll in the end result, and should not be underestimated – especially when you are trying to create a traditional SLR technique like depth of field for example. I will be briefly covering these stages and will actually have a live model for the presentation. Of course, in between these major stages, I’ll demonstrate tips and tricks such as how to deal with low-light situations, how to pick the right shooting app, burst mode photography, etc. I know it is a lot to cram into a 30-minute presentation, especially since I always like to open the floor for questions at the end. 

I have also partnered with the developers of Facetune to give live demos of their amazing app on the show floor in the Appalooza area Thursday-Saturday, March 27-29th. I will be joined by a few of my creative colleagues who will also be demoing their take on the app. It should be a lot of fun, and a great place for attendees to learn about Facetune, which is aimed squarely at iPhone/iPad Portrait photography and editing.

Beach Boy © Michael Clawson
Beach Boy © Michael Clawson
Mopar, The Wizard of the Desert © Michael Clawson
Mopar, The Wizard of the Desert © Michael Clawson

Geri:  Is there any way for people not attending to view your presentation?

Michael:  Unfortunately, my presentation will not be recorded. But, as always, I plan to upload my slides to my Slideshare account. I do believe MacWorld/iWorld will also make them available to people attending the event.

Geri:  Is there anything else you'd like to add?

Michael:  First off, I really appreciate you taking the time to interview me here. I enjoy sharing my love for iPhoneography whenever I have a chance, and your blog is one of my favorites. Also, I’m excited to say I’m writing a book on iPhoneography that hopefully will be out later this year. Yes. That was a shameless plug, but well, there it is so stay tuned. 


Objects in the mirror are larger than they appear © Michael Clawson
Objects in the mirror are larger than they appear © Michael Clawson
Olloclip Fisheye
What? Are you talking to me? © Michael Clawson
What? Are you talking to me? © Michael Clawson




0 comments:

Post a Comment