Kelly Kardos–Pure Photography

Kelly KardosI first met Kelly Kardos @kellykardos on Instagram) through her blog Just a Click Away.  Although we’ve never met, I think it’s in our future as Kelly also lives in Southern California. 
I thought she was only using her big girl camera (DSLR) and not about to indulge in iPhone photography, but I was so wrong.  When I found out that her beautiful IG images are almost entirely shot on her iPhone, I couldn’t wait to feature her work here.  When I think of Kelly’s work two words come to mind – pure and story. Her images have a pure quality to them that I love and they tell a story – something a good photographer can do well!

© Kelly Kardos
Please enjoy her work along with my conversation with Kelly. 
Geri:  How long have you been on Instagram?
Kelly:  I've been on IG for 8 months now & love the community support and inspiration that is happening there.
Geri:  When did you begin experimenting with mobile photography?
Kelly:  I started experimenting with mobile photography soon after I got my iPhone.  I took what I knew from owning a DSLR & was only interested in playing & learning about the features the "i-camera" has to offer.  It didn't hit me until after I uploaded the 1st photos from my phone to the computer that I knew something really explosive and fun was about to happen.
© Kelly Kardos
Geri:  For me your work might be described as pure because you don't rely as heavily on the apps, but it's more about the story and the composition.  What inspires you?
Kelly:  Details inspire me.  I remind myself daily to slow down, catch my breath, and enjoy the moment I'm in, paying close attention to the little things that might otherwise be overlooked. I'm never disappointed and constantly amazed.
© Kelly Kardos
Geri:  I love your fantasy self-portraits - can you tell me more about them?
Kelly:  I love doing fantasy self-portraits because it's an artful way to express myself when I want to share and remember a life event. It's liberating to be able to emote sadness, joy, excitement, anger, pain or just be whimsical and explore ideas you have. Writers write, artists draw, and photographers shoot.  I've had many "happy accidents" by keeping an open mind about a idea I've been mulling around.
© Kelly Kardos

© Kelly Kardos

© Kelly Kardos

© Kelly Kardos

© Kelly Kardos
Geri:  Do you have a favorite image that you photographed with your iPhone – if so why?
Kelly:  This is tough but I do.  My youngest son is graduating high school in May and hopefully attending the Naval Academy soon after. I'm trying to hold on to any shred of his childhood to help soothe my soul for the expected empty nest syndrome.This image is the very first photo I put on canvas. The details blew me away that I actually cried happy tears looking at it in disbelief thinking  "I did that...my phone did that!"  (image below)

© Kelly Kardos
Geri: Do you shoot with the native camera or another camera app?
Kelly: I shoot exclusively with the actual iPhone camera ( I think that's what you mean by "native") I'm completely comfortable with it and I trust the factory settings.
© Kelly Kardos

© Kelly Kardos
Geri:  I know who Danbo is, but visitors to your gallery may not.  Please introduce him.
Kelly:  Ahhhh Danbo (smiling from ear to ear)  Danbo, short for Danboard, (from the Japanese word "danboru," which means "cardboard") is a popular character in the Yotsuba&! Manga.  I fell in love with the character from the first photo I saw of "him" ages ago on Flickr. I've developed his character through my photography over the years as a curious, chocolate loving, daydreaming, enthusiast about the world and what goes on around him. He's slightly naughty at times and completely in awe of anything new and shiny!  I get completely giddy and childlike when I set him up for a "photo shoot!"  (photos below)
  © Kelly Kardos




















© Kelly Kardos

Geri:  Another subject that your gallery visitors will find are images of monarch butterflies in various stages of growth.  Please tell me about the monarch project.
Kelly:   The Monarch project started 4 years ago when I began following their fascinating migration from Mexico.  I decided to plant milkweed (the only plant adult females will lay their eggs on) 3 years ago.  It wasn't until about 7 weeks ago that I spotted the first egg.  It turned out to be a much bigger project than I anticipated. The number of caterpillar kept growing.  Soon I was buried in Google searches for as much information as I could arm myself with, so I knew what to expect next.  I felt I was blessed with a gift and decided I was their steward for survival & it was my duty to do absolutely everything I could to make sure these amazing creatures would, in the end, be set free to continue their own journey.  I got my husband, Frankie, involved too.  He built this amazing 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 butterfly enclosure to house the "critters" where they could pupate in safety.  To date we've released 12 males, 16 females and there are 4 more in their chrysalis state. This is going to be a shameless plug but the complete story is on my blog, Just a Click Away.  The folks on IG have been so supportive and really enthusiastic through this Monarch process. It's been an all consuming, but totally rewarding experience. My heart is full.
© Kelly Kardos

© Kelly Kardos
Geri:  What are some of your favorite apps?
Kelly:   I love PicFX & BeFunky Photo Editor and I've recently discovered WowFX  and Lo-Mob.
Geri:  Do you do all editing on your iPhone or do you use an iPad or computer?
Kelly:  I do all my editing on the i-phone.
Geri:  Have you ever exhibited any of your work -  either traditional photography or iPhone photography?
Kelly:  I have never exhibited any of my work. I'd like to someday, when the time is right for me.
Geri:  Anything else you'd like to add?
Kelly:  A HUGE thank you Geri. For taking an interest in my little piece of the iPhone world when I'm just doing what I love to do, capturing the world around me one photo at a time.

© Kelly Kardos
Thank you Kelly for your friendship and for adding beauty to my world! 
Find Kelly:  Instagram / Blog
All images in this feature are copyrighted property of Kelly Kardos published on iART CHRONiCLES with the consent of the artist.


Featured Mobile Artists

0 comments:

Post a Comment