Woody Hermanek–Photographing Souls

Woody Hermanek
There’s something gritty and real about black and white photography.  Ted Grant said it well, “When you photograph people in color, you photograph their clothes. But when you photograph people in black and white, you photograph their souls!”


© Woody Hermanek
Purgatory (Above)*

Woody Hermanek aka @_woodava_ on Instagram has mastered the art of capturing souls with his brilliant black and white style.  Woody, a New Yorker based in Long Island shoots all his images with an iPhone 4 and amazingly has never owned a camera in his life!   In fact, he only got his iPhone five months ago and that’s when he joined Instagram.  It’s clear to me that Woody has a natural gift!

© Woody Hermanek

I joke a lot about the lack of people on the suburban streets where I live, but that doesn’t seem to stop Woody who also lives in the suburbs of NYC.  He advises aspiring street photographers, “Always have your eyes open and your camera ready. I always have my native camera app open because you never know when that perfect shot will occur which is always when you least expect it.”

© Woody Hermanek
“If Only I Could Fly” (Above)*

One of Woody’s favorite apps for achieving the look he wants for his images is Noir Photo.  This is an app you should definitely have in your “camera bag” for black and white photos.  Another app Woody is currently exploring is Snapseed which he’s found to be very useful in producing high quality black and white images as well as offering some unique edit options.

c6f8029c0afe11e28c8722000a1faf2d_7

© Woody Hermanek
Our parent’s job is to take care of us until we’re adults.  Once we are, our duty is to take care of them. (Above)*

You may remember that I have said more than once that I love faces and Woody captures them brilliantly!

© Woody Hermanek

© Woody Hermanek

© Woody Hermanek
“Back to My Roots” (Above)*

Each photographer’s style evolves as his or her journey progresses.  Woody says,  “In this process I learned to just keep shooting. When I started 5 months ago the photos I took were nothing like the ones I produce now. But the encouragement I received from others and those words ‘Just keep shooting’ were repeated to me over and over again. So that’s what I did and continue to do…and for that I will continue to grow in this process. If you’re new to photography and just starting out and trying to find your way, interest and style. JUST KEEP SHOOTING!!!”


© Woody Hermanek
West Side Silhouette (Above)

© Woody Hermanek
Stand for something, or risk falling for anything…(Above)*

© Woody Hermanek
Ever wonder what the world would be without music (Above)*

© Woody Hermanek
There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery…Joseph Conrad (Above)*

Thank you Woody for a glance into your world.  I wish you and all those affected a speedy return to normalcy after the devastating effects of Hurricane Sandy. 

Captions from @_woodava_ gallery

All images in this feature are copyrighted property of Woody Hermanek published on iART CHRONiCLES with the consent of the artist.


Featured Mobile Artists

0 comments:

Post a Comment