Mobile Artist Eric Dijkstra–A Signature Style

© Eric DijkstraI can spot one of Eric Dijkstra’s beautifully edited mobile art pieces as soon as they cross my Instagram feed.  Eric’s signature slow shutter style silhouettes captivated me from the first moment I saw them.  In fact, at first glance, I thought they were photographs of paintings that he had done.  Grab your favorite beverage and enjoy my conversation with this very talented mobile artist.  (Photo captions taken from Eric’s Instagram gallery)

 © Eric Dijkstra


© Eric Dijkstra














Geri:  Your name is Eric Dijkstra and you live in the Netherlands, correct? 
Eric:  Yes, that is correct. 

Geri:  Do you shoot all your images with your iPhone 3GS? 
Eric:  Over the last 6 months I shot 99% of my pictures on IG with my iPhone 3GS.
 
© Eric Dijkstra
  
© Eric Dijkstra

















Geri:  How long have you been on Instagram?
Eric:  I started on Instagram 31 December 2011 - so it's almost one year ago now.
 
Geri:  I see you also shoot with your Nikon D90 - which do you prefer?
Eric:  That depends.  On street, I prefer iPhone (more discrete) and when walking in nature I prefer my Nikon .
© Eric Dijkstra
© Eric Dijkstra

















Geri:  How did your unique style evolve?  Do you have an art background? 

Eric:  I don't have an art background.  I guess I got some art genes from my mother.  I educated myself by learning from critiques on photo sites, so I evolved an eye for composition/balance in the picture.  My style of making the (slow shutter) silhouettes was inspired by Instagram’s @sb33 (grand !!).  Practicing, practicing .. and I still keep practicing.  My pictures are mostly created out of a blend of two or more images.  That is how I make a crowd and the colors.  It just happened/evolved by doing it .. I did not plan in advance.
 
© Eric Dijkstra
© Eric Dijkstra









Geri:  What apps do you use to create your artwork? Please tell me about your process?
 
Eric:  For the basic picture, I use Slowshutter, then I crop/square in Camera+ and then I mostly use Image Blender.   After that I use XnView Photo FX to create the color effects - subdued or exuberant.  I have no preconceived plan – the atmosphere that I see occurs while editing.  I finish my picture with Pro HDR sometimes preceded by Pic Grunger, Filtermania, etc.  
© Eric Dijkstra
 

© Eric Dijkstra
Geri:  Have you ever exhibited your work? If not, do you have any plans in the future to do so?
 
Eric:  No, I have never exhibited my work, but ...(short silence, swelling drums)…it is coming!  I do not know exact dates yet, but in February/March, ten of my works can be seen in Tucson, Arizona in The Source Salon and Spa…and I hope there will be more pixhibitions to come.  This is all made possible thanks by my dear IG friend and artist Susan Libby (@susetoo)
© Eric Dijkstra
© Eric Dijkstra






















































Geri:  Anything else you'd like to add?
 
Eric:  Yes, my appreciation and my thanks to all my IG-friends for their compliments, enthusiasm and their support – they have inspired and still inspire me to create my work.  Special thanks to Susan and Marco, my 'agents' across in your USA!  And, finally my special thanks to you Geri, for this stage between other huge/great artists!
© Eric Dijkstra



























Find Eric Instagram / Website
All images in this feature are copyrighted property of Eric Dijkstra published on iART CHRONiCLES with the consent of the artist.

Featured Mobile Artists

0 comments:

Post a Comment