Mobile Photography Awards - Are They Fair?

The build up to a competition is always exciting. Everyone who throws their hat into the ring is hoping for a chance to take home the prize or at least get a mention. Today is one of those days when hopes will be crushed as eyes scan the winning list of the Mobile Photography Awards and don't see their name among them. I know I was hoping against hope that one of my images might miraculously appear as an honorable mention. Oh darn! Maybe next year.

I have had a few people ask me about the results of this year's competition:

Was it fair?

Should one artist get several honorable mentions in one category?

Should one image get an honorable mention in more than one category?

I kind of remember a similar discussion last year. Here's the way I look at it. A competition like this is subjective - if there had been a different set of judges, there would probably be a different set of winners. It's not like a foot race where the first one across the finish line is the winner. Not every image was my cup of tea, but then again, that's why they make different types of tea! That said, each of the winners and those given honorable mention are deserving by mere virtue of the fact that they were chosen by the judges in what must have been a very difficult process.

Now, to answer the other questions about one artist getting several honorable mentions or one image getting an honorable mention in more than one category. I thought a bit about how I would organize a competition like this one. The "mom" in me wants things to be fair, so I would probably limit the number of honorable mentions to one per category, although I would allow a photographer to be mentioned in more than one category. But I imagine the organizers of the MPA wished for each image to be judged on merit alone and therefore allow an artist who is particularly accomplished to be mentioned several times. And, let's be honest, if I were one of those artists to get more than one honorable mention, I would be over the moon!

While I'm discussing this year's results I do want to congratulate all of those who won or were mentioned. There were names that are quite familiar - people I consider my friends although we've never met, and some  new names to investigate. Each and everyone of you must feel particularly proud to be recognized for doing something that is close to your heart.

So to the winners, a hearty "Congrats" and to those of us who didn't win or get a mention, we will lick our wounds and continue to create in this wonderful art form that allows us such a wide variety of expression. I started this journey because of the love of it and it is for that reason that I will happily continue.

Here's to next year!

(Please feel free to share your comments below.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment