The Emotional Art of Alex Visage

© Alex VisageIt has been a while since I posted a featured full interview with a mobile photographer, but I'm sure you will agree when you see the work of Alex Visage that is was well worth the wait!

Geri:  What is your name and where do you live? 

Alex:  My name is Alex Visage (Alex Drozhin). I live in Moscow, Russia.

Geri:  How did you get started in mobile photography?

Alex:  I have been taking photos since 2008, when the first iPhone appeared in my life. In those days camera capabilities were modest and I had to process photos on my computer. Nowadays, thanks to modern technologies we have unlimited possibilities, so you can take pictures, immediately do post-processing on your gadget and then upload photos on the internet. It makes things easier and all depends on your imagination.


Tommy © Alex Visage
Tommy © Alex Visage


Tanya © Alex Visage
Tanya © Alex Visage
Geri:  What device do you use?

Alex:  I use iPhone 4S and iPhone 5S at the moment. Also I have the Olloclip 3-in-1, 4-in-1 and telephoto. It helps me to do new experiments in art of iPhoneography.

Geri:  Do you have a traditional photography or art background?

Alex:  Actually, I don’t have any art degree, although I have been drawing since childhood. Also I had private lessons in drawing when I was a student. My father was an artist and that is why I always have had the opportunity to learn something new in art. My father taught me how to take pictures when I was a child. My first camera was a Zenit and I printed black and white photographs myself. Although I have a professional camera Canon 5D with multiple lenses L-series, I prefer to take and process photos with my iPhone.

A Paris...© Alex Visage
A Paris...© Alex Visage

Lady "No Name" III © Alex Visage
Lady "No Name" III © Alex Visage
Geri:  How would you describe your style?

Alex:  I don’t know exactly what to call my style as I like to do my pictures in various styles. I would call it "emotional art" as it is more about my soul than technical issues. The main task for me is not to leave people indifferent when they see my photos. I get great pleasure not only when I make the photos but also when I can see the end result of my work.

The Girl and Balloon © Alex Visage
The Girl and Balloon © Alex Visage

The Loneliness © Alex Visage
The Loneliness © Alex Visage
Geri:  Who or what inspires you?

Alex:  I am inspired by life itself, people I meet and what people create with their own hands and intellect. I am inspired by painting, architecture, design. I often go to Paris, my favorite city. I'm planning to do a project dedicated to Paris, which will reflect my emotions and attitudes towards this wonderful city. I have many friends among iPhoneographers. I am grateful to Paul Brown, whom I consider as my teacher and the best photographer.

Femme D'automne © Alex Visage
Femme D'automne © Alex Visage

Lady "Dior" © Alex Visage
Lady "Dior" © Alex Visage

Lady "No Name" VI © Alex Visage
Lady "No Name" VI © Alex Visage
Geri:  What is your favorite subject to shoot?

Alex:  I love taking photos of people. There are a lot of fates, sentiments, characters and emotions. I also like taking photos of mannequins animating them in my photos to make a special visual effect. When I travel I shoot a lot of photos of different streets and cities. I have a series of abstract and fantasy works. You can see these works in my gallery on Flickr or Instagram.

Prague I © Alex Visage
Prague I © Alex Visage

Mini World © Alex Visage
Mini World © Alex Visage
Geri:  I like the series that includes The Lemon Dance - what inspired that?

Alex:  The Lemon Dance… I always wanted to work with composition and with objects in space. I was thinking what "thing" I could put in space and what I could do with it. The idea of ​​the lemon came and due to my stay in Prague, I remembered about puppets that come to life thanks to the threads. The idea of a dancing lemon appeared.

The Lemon Dance © Alex Visage
The Lemon Dance © Alex Visage
The Cat's Cradle © Alex Visage
The Cat's Cradle © Alex Visage
Geri:  Do you have any favorite apps that you use regularly?  


The most important thing is to learn to use multiple apps simultaneously. I usually do a photo on the main camera and then work with different apps. I also like to use Hipstamatic. I work only with my iPhone and don’t use any computers. That is important for me.


The Fashion Show © Alex Visage
The Fashion Show © Alex Visage
The White Rose © Alex Visage
The White Rose © Alex Visage

When Love is Gone © Alex Visage
When Love is Gone © Alex Visage
Geri:  Have you ever exhibited your work?  If not, any plans to do so?

Alex:  I have not had any exhibitions but I am thinking about this constantly. I have a great desire to show my works. I am collecting material for the exhibition at the moment, I have a lot of thematic works which I can share with others.




0 comments:

Post a Comment